Saturday, January 23, 2010

Leila Lou

Looking back into my childhood, offers me mostly happy memories. Of course, there were several bumps in the road, but I've come to the conclusion that those bumps have become my strengths. I was definitely not raised in a traditional 2 parent family, with the white picket fence.....but honestly who was? My mother has always been the constant in my life. I think there have been times that she regrets some of the decisions she made, but I didnt turn out so bad. I'm 36, have a degree as a registered nurse, have 2 wonderful children, a great husband (most of the time), a beautiful home, even if I didnt have a dime to my name, what would I have to complain about? I have said this many times......but I think your mother should be your biggest fan, and I know without a doubt that my mother is my biggest fan ALWAYS!

I come from a long line of wonderful, beautiful, strong, independent, hard headed, stubborn women. The "Mizell" women are something I am proud of. They are my heritage.

My first memories of my great grandmother were in a two story house in Folkston. As a child, the house seemed so big....the perfectly square kitchen with the slamming screen door, the wooden staircase that creeked when you stepped on a certain step, the bedrooms upstairs that connected, and most of all....the smell. It was an honest mix of dove soap, estee lauder powder and dampness. Its funny how our minds will take us back when we smell familiar aromas.

I have sat many afternoons on my great grandmothers front porch, in one of those big wooden rocking chairs (if you are from the south..you know the ones)listening to them talk about things going on in the world. They weren't always the most productive conversations, but ones I will always cherish. My great grandmother, Leila Aldridge, (Granny Aldridge)or as my mother lovingly says.."Leila Lou", had several sisters (10 I think)and one baby brother. Most anyday, you could come by Granny Aldridges porch and she would be sitting out there. There were always visitors, especially in the afternoon. She would read her Bible in the afternoon sun and invite any non-believer to join her. She had her faults, but she always had kind words for us. Several years ago, she passed, and I realized how much I took for granted the afternoon "porch sitting". It is something that her daughters and others greatly miss too.

When she passed, the only thing I asked for was a "granny" ceramic bank. I remembered it from the many summer days that I spent with Granny Aldridge and her sister Edna. Probably a very inexpensive gift, it sat on a side table in the living room forever. One afternoon, mom called me hysterically upset. She had accidentally dropped the bank, and being full of money...it shattered into a gazillion pieces.....there was no saving it. Although I was upset, it was just an object....and nothing could compare to my memory of her.

Prior to Granny A passing, she had assigned my mom the task of disbursing her items as she saw fit, except for the few items Granny A preassigned before dying. One was for me....a ring I remember vividly. A simple December birthstone ring that she wore everyday. She gave it to me because we were the only December birthdays. It was a wonderful surprise.

Before Granny Aldridge came back to Folkston to live out the remainder of her days, she shared a home with Aunt Edna in Waycross. I loved going there as a child. My cousins and I would play in the cow field tossing cow pucks and playing in the creek down the road. The long summer days kept us consumed. Endless hours of running, skipping, jumping, eating popsicles, chasing bugs, drinking out of the water hose, running in and out of the screen door, allowing it to slam each time.

Now as a mom, I get to watch my children play. Its a glorious cycle although ever changing. The sounds of summer as a child cross my mind frequently, and almost always, those are the ones I remember the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment