Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Cup Runneth Over and Its Making A Mess

"My Cup Runneth Over" is one of my very favorite quotes used in one of my very favorite movies, Hope Floats. If you have never seen it, this should be on your hot pink scooter list. I dont think I've explained the hot pink scooter list, so briefly, its basically mine and 2 of my friends bucket list. (We expect to be riding hot pink scooters when we hit the nursing home).

Ok back my cup running over.....I have realized that this is sometimes how I see my cup. Kinda like the people who instead of seeing their glass half full, they see it as half empty. Instead of letting my life happen, my control freakness, has to plan how my life should happen. I am really trying to work on this, and with the grace from above, I will succeed.

I guess I really began to realize how much of a control freak I was when it came out in my 10 1/2 year old, Mabree. When she and Mallory play, Mabree feels the need to control the situation instead of an equal partnership. I dont place blame on her, because they are a product of their environment, right? So lately, I have really tried hard to take a tiny step back (which feels like a leap over the Grand Canyon)and just allow things to happen.

Ok so yes sometimes I panic, (ok so maybe frequently) when i have allowed Mabree to fix her own hair, and its not quite the way I want it, or Mallory picks out her own clothes.(who thinks that all shades of pink match). My talk to myself is....nobody is going to die as a result, no failing grades, no snickers from other moms as I go by, and the sun will still rise in the east and set in he west. Ok, conquered.

Mabree is the laid back, not a care in the world, tom boyish child that can be girlie if required. She has many talents including dance, acting, and my most jaw dropping discovery....singing. Because of my mistakes in life, she has learned to adapt, sometimes reluctantly. I dont give her near the credit she deserves. She has survived me, despite me. I can be very critical of her, when there is really no reason to criticize. I do try to lovingly criticize, but I dont think she and I see it the same. She is a wonderful helper to me. She even loves to cook, and on occasion she has cooked our entire meal. She jumps at the opportunity to help me with certain tasks. Her least favorite are cleaning her room, and folding and putting away clothes, come to think of it...thats mine too.

My blessings pour out, yet I see them pouring out onto my nice freshly mopped floor. Why is that? Why do I not see that my greatest blessings are 10 and 4 year old girls who make messes? Instead of gracefully cleaning up the messes, I fuss about them. God gave me these beautiful daughters, and sometimes I catch myself listening to what they have to say without REALLY LISTENING. I have prayed about this most of all, and only by Gods mercy am I trying to improve. So what if my house is not spotless? Will they remember the crumb on the floor or the fact that I played a game or read a book to them? Children are resilient, but they are resilient sponges.

When my girls grow up, and people say they are a product of their environment....I want that to be a GOOD thing. I want them to be happy that their cups are running over onto the floor. We make a decision everyday to accept the blessings or mop them up and pour them down the drain! Today.....my floor is ankle deep!

No comments:

Post a Comment